Monday 29 August 2011

Monday 29 August 2011

Matthew 18

THE GREATEST IN THE KINGDOM
1 About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?"
  2 Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them.3 Then he said,"I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.4 So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.
  5 "And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.6 But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea.
  7 "What sorrow awaits the world, because it tempts people to sin. Temptations are inevitable, but what sorrow awaits the person who does the tempting.8 So if your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It's better to enter eternal life with only one hand or one foot than to be thrown into eternal fire with both of your hands and feet.9 And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It's better to enter eternal life with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.
  10 "Beware that you don't look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father.

Jesus made it quite clear in verse 3, He said "turn from your sins" and then "become like little children". These are two foundations in our path towards God and heaven. The rest of this chapter Jesus tells you that it is better to enter heaven without a part of your body that causes you to sin than to go to hell with all your parts.

Becoming like little children is having complete faith in God, and putting our trust in Him. When I read this I can't help thinking of my own son, how he is always looking for me and how he loves to say he missed me and longed to be with me and in the same way I always can't wait to be with him.

This opens a little of God's heart for us in me, how much God must miss us and longs to spend time with us. When we spend more and more time with someone we become like that that one, spending time with God will let us change more and more to be like Him.

Put your trust in God and spend time with Him, He is your Father.

To God be all the glory.


The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...