Monday 4 April 2011

Monday 4 April 2011

Onesimus
Slave – Thief – Forgiven
Important points:
1.    Slave to Philemon
2.    Theft
3.    Run away
4.    Met Paul
5.    Met Jesus
6.    Jesus = Forgiven - Saved - Changed - Warrior

Philemon 1:10-18 “I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my imprisonment, who formally was useless to you, but now is useful to you and to me. I have sent him back to you in person that is, sending my very heart… For perhaps he was for this reason separated from you for a while, that you would have him back forever, no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. If then you regard me a partner, accept him as you would me. But if he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge that to my account.”

Parts to look at:

1.    was useless to you, but now is useful
a.    When we are controlled by sin in the world we are useless to God, but the moment we allow Jesus to change our live and the Holy Spirit to take control. We become useful to God
2.    no longer as a slave, but more than a slave
a.    When we are in the world, we are slaves to the world and sin. Jesus came to set us free from that so that we no longer live as slaves
3.    accept him as you would me
a.    This is what Jesus then also pleads to the Father, that He accepts us as he accepts Jesus.
4.    charge that to my account
a.    Jesus did this on the cross. He took our sins on His account. He died for all our sins.

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Gal 6:14)

When the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir. (Gal 4:4-7)


Last thoughts (About the enemy):
1.       Satan wants you to be alone
2.       He wants you to doubt
3.       He wants you to think you are not worthy
4.       He wants you to fail

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. (2 Cor 12:9-10)
I’m forgiven, because you were forsaken. I’m accepted, you were condemned.
I’m alive and well, your Spirit is within me, because you died and rose again.
Amazing love, how can it be, that you my King would die for me?
Amazing love, I know it’s true. It’s my joy to honour you, in all I do. I worship you.


The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...