Wednesday 18 April 2012

Today Reminder - 18 April 2012 (Idols)

My prayer for you for today is that the idols of this world will have no effect on your life as you serve a living and true God, in Jesus name.

1 Thessalonians 1:9-10
For they keep talking about the wonderful welcome you gave us and how you turned away from idols to serve the living and true God. And they speak of how you are looking forward to the coming of God's Son from heaven—Jesus, whom God raised from the dead. He is the one who has rescued us from the terrors of the coming judgment.

Idols. Don’t you just love the show – idols? All the glamour and excitement, the surprises and the sorrow, and all that leads up to the final episode where the best idol is crowned. I must say Idols have shown us some wonderful and really weird people, and people with truly amazing talents. The world we live in today is world of idols, and out of all of them I think that most people fall for fame and fortune. People always want to be popular and have lots of money to throw around to impress other people and they will stop at nothing to get there. We are so easily dominated by our own need and concerns that we place God in the background as a last resort, when He should be our first resort. We idolize people and we want to be like them, and yet we should idolise Jesus and be more like Him.  I love this statement in today’s scripture: “and how you turned away from idols to serve the living and true God.”

My dear friend, let’s turn away from the things of this world and seek the things of heaven. Let’s idolise Jesus and be excited about the things He did and is still doing. Let us strive to be more like Him and seek His presence in our lives, but above all let us worship Him in such a way that we will create a “want” in other to do the same. Ask God today to break the idols in your life and replace them with Himself, and as we place Him first in our lives looking forward to the coming of God's Son from heaven—Jesus, whom God raised from the dead. He is the one who has rescued us from the terrors of the coming judgment, and He is the one we should worship above all.

I don’t have many friends that will be brutally beaten, mocked and punished, hanged on a cross out of love for me AND then die so that I can live, AND after three days rise up from the dead to spend time with me making sure I am still fine AND sits on the right hand of God arguing my case each day, never giving up on me AND loves me unconditionally. Nope I don’t have many of those friends, in fact only the one. Only Jesus and He calls me friend. He is so AWESOME!

Have an awesome excited about Jesus day.

Cheers

The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...