Wednesday 16 November 2011

Ending John


As we reach the end of the forth gospel, I have a few last thoughts to leave with you and few verses that just stands out.
Here they are:

John 18:8-9
"I told you that I AM he," Jesus said. "And since I am the one you want, let these others go." He did this to fulfil his own statement: "I did not lose a single one of those you have given me."

John 18:36-37
Jesus answered, "My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world."
Pilate said, "So you are a king?"
Jesus responded, "You say I am a king. Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true."

John 19:11
Then Jesus said, "You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin."

John 20:22
Then he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit

John 20:29
Then Jesus told him, "You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me."

At the end of this it is so clear that what Jesus did on the cross for each of us was out of love. At any moment He could call on His armies and end His torture, but He chose to remain in it for our sake. He also clearly mentions earlier in 

John 16:6-7:
Instead, you grieve because of what I've told you. But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don't, the Advocate won't come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you.

He had to go so that He can send the Holy Spirit to us. Reading the crucifixion and the resurrection again just brought back that overwhelming feeling of God’s amazing love for us and again returned my focus to myself and how often I am angered and upset with people around me. Once again I was just humbled before an everlasting and all powerful God and I was reminded of my purpose. I am here for His glory and I can change people by just listening to God. God is in me as I am in in Him. Why do we constantly struggle with this purpose, and why do we find it so easy to place our needs ahead of those around us.

Dear Father God, please will you fill our hearts anew with your love and open our eyes to see the need around us. Let you be glorified in everything we attempt and do today. Teach us how to love you more, in Jesus name.


The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...