Friday 2 June 2017

Today Reminder – 2 June 2017



A reminder for today
You won't spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God. (1 Peter 4:2)

This month our movie of the month is “The Shack”. If you haven’t seen it yet I recommend this one. It is a fictional story, but the core of it is God’s love that is questioned by the main character throughout his encounters with God. It is a remarkable story and it will leave you bursting with tears and shaking with laughter. It will change your view on so many struggles we all have and it will give you a very good idea of God’s love. Many don’t like it, but if you desire a deeper relationship with God and you spend a lot of time with Him, you will love this movie. We loved it and I tell you I was moved by it. “The Shack” is now one of my favourites. 

I must tell you that a large part of my life was spend chasing my own desires and my own needs. I loved money and that made me an exceptional sales person. The more time we feed our worldly needs the lesser God is part of us. And then one day you wake up and you realise that if you continue on this path, it will surely lead to self-destruction. The journey back is probably the hardest one you will ever have and I still struggle with my worldly self, because it is so easy to fall back into old habits. Paul wrote in Romans 7: I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 

 So, I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. (Galatians 5)

Luckily, we do not have to fight this battle on our own. Jesus knows exactly what we are going through and He will give us the strength to overcome. It comes down to a moment where you realise that you are doing you more damage and that you have to remove you from the equation. It is in this understanding of trust that you give in and you submit humbly to God and allow the Holy Spirit to do its work. It is the beginning of an awesome relationship, because you know you are not in control anymore and you follow without all those self-ideas you had. Suddenly you do not want to spend the rest of your life chasing your own desires, but you become anxious to do the will of God. 

Jesus, you are my all and I am lost without you. 

Lord, we humbly submit to you and we give you our lives. Let us run and not grow weary. Let us fight knowing you are our hope and revival. In Jesus name. 

Have an awesome day, dear friend of Jesus.

Cheers

The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...