Friday 27 December 2013

Today Reminder – 27 December 2013 (Day 19 – A Real Christmas)



A reminder for today
"Have I refused to help the poor, or crushed the hopes of widows? Have I been stingy with my food and refused to share it with orphans? No, from childhood I have cared for orphans like a father, and all my life I have cared for widows. Whenever I saw the homeless without clothes and the needy with nothing to wear, did they not praise me for providing wool clothing to keep them warm?” (Job 31:16-20)

Christmas is all about giving and as I read Job’s way of life towards other it makes me wonder. Do I help the poor? Am I stingy with my food and do not share? Do I care for widows? Do I help the homeless?

It has almost become an epidemic in our country. Our way of life has caused a number of issues regarding poverty. It is difficult to distinguish when to give and when not to. Who is really in need and who is a con artist?

It is currently like this: At almost every robot you will find a person with a banner stating their need and asking for money. When you park your car there is a car watcher that wants so look after your car and obviously all the other ones also asking for money. Then there are those who are selling stuff at every robot and if you do not buy something they ask for “small change”. Then we have people who take their little children to the side of the roads also asking for money and using the children to do it when our government gives a pension for woman where the father is absent. 

It is at times quite challenging because by giving each day it could become quite a financial burden and what is more disturbing is that the kindness of people is exploited by so called beggars. Some of those that are begging at the robots are doing it when they have no need at all. They would arrive early in their good clothes and then change into rags and beg at the robots. It has caused confusion amongst people and I must say it also causes anger in some cases, because not only are the normal tax payer heavily burdened by taxes, he must also pay toll fees and now e-toll. And funny enough now during the Christmas season people are abusing the kindness of other. I stopped at a filling station the other day and after the attendant filled my car with diesel he asked me for a “Christmas box”. I was caught off guard and was basically speechless, because at that time I had given money to the guard in the parking lot and at every robot there was a person in need and now even the petrol attendant asked for money.

So what happens is that people’s hearts are cold and they are reluctant to give and to top it our government wastes millions while people are struggling to survive. 

What do we do? When do we give and when do we not give?  It is difficult especially with the continuous increase in prices. I believe that God will give you wisdom in this matter. I always think it is safer to give your money to the church, because they know who is really needy and where to use your tithes. In many cases the beggar at the robot is there purely out of laziness and by laziness I mean that I know of many guys who have offered these beggars a job and they refused, because it is easier to beg than to work. 

So to conclude: It is only right to give for we reactive so much, but follow God’s voice when you give and listen to His direction. God loves us all equally and to help someone in need is the very heart of God and He will be glorified by it. Jesus was very clear on this matter: "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven. Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." (Luke 6:37-38)

Note that there are three things we must keep in mind: 1) Do not judge 2) Forgive and 3) Give and you shall receive. So I conclude that giving is receiving and by giving we display the very essence of our faith and we confirm our trust in God. Finally this trust will grow your relationship with God and you will receive much more than what you gave. So do not judge when you give and be quick to forgive, for in this lies a great treasure and a life of freedom.

Have and awesome day dear friend of Jesus

Cheers

The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...