Tuesday 19 September 2017

Today Reminder (Why do I believe) – 19 September 2017



A reminder for today
I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. Thou shalt have none other gods before me. (Deuteronomy 5:6-7)

Why do I believe in God? Now there is a question every atheist asks. Well to tell you the truth it is not because there are approximately 11 million species of life on earth, including humans. And they all did not appear by chance. It surely is not because Hoyle said in his book The Intelligent Universe: "As biochemists discover more and more about the awesome complexity of life, it is apparent that its chances of originating by accident are so minute that they can be completely ruled out. Life cannot have arisen by chance."

It is not because Dr. Robert Jastrow, founder of NASA's Institute for Space Studies, says that the Big Bang theory offers scientific evidence for a biblical view of how the universe began. This respected scientist says that "science has proven that the universe exploded into being in a certain moment." He further explains that this sudden explosion points to a truth found in the very first sentence of the Bible: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

It is also not because evidence for the existence of God, says Christian writer C.S. Lewis, is that people everywhere in the world believe in some idea of right and wrong. People argue with one another every day: "That's my seat. I had it first! Suppose I did the same to you! How would you like it? Come on, you promised. … "

These daily arguments show that there must be some law or rule of fair play or morality built into us. Lewis says this moral law cannot simply be about what a group of people decides is right for them. It is more like a mathematical table. We would never say the math table could be made differently if we had simply wanted to make it differently. Two plus two will always equal four. And just as there are math "laws" that can never change, the same is true of moral law.

Yes, there is Somebody behind the universe. He has put a moral law within us, and he is intensely interested in right conduct—in fair play, unselfishness, courage, good faith, honesty and truthfulness.

It is also not because Jesus Christ became human and saved us all from sin. Jesus was who he said he was. But some might argue, "So what? Talk is cheap!" Anyone can make claims. Others have claimed deity. But when it comes to Jesus of Nazareth, his words are backed up by evidence. He said, "If I don't do the things my Father does, well and good; don't believe me. But if I am doing them, put aside for a moment what you hear me say about myself and just take the evidence of the actions that are right before your eyes. Then perhaps things will come together for you, and you'll see that not only are we doing the same thing; we are the same—Father and Son. He is in me; I am in him" (John 10:38, The Message).

The greatest evidence to Christ's claims of deity is his resurrection from the dead. Five times, he predicted he would die. He also predicted how he would die and that three days later he would rise from the dead and appear to his disciples.

For evidence of his resurrection, you must turn to the historical record. There are 10 different recorded sightings of the living Christ after his death by crucifixion. In one of his appearances, he was seen by a group of 500 people (1 Corinthians 15:6).

For those who still say the Resurrection was made up, I have a question: What was it that changed a group of frightened, cowardly disciples into men of courage and conviction? What turned them into people who were willing to be tortured and killed because they believed Jesus was God? I believe that only the real bodily resurrection of Christ could have produced such a radical change.

But it surely is that there is the evidence for the Resurrection that is very personal. If Jesus Christ rose from the dead, he is alive today, ready to invade and change those who invite him into their lives. In fact, millions now living claim their lives have been revolutionized by Jesus Christ. He has done in them what he said he would do.

"Believe in Jesus and be saved" isn't simply a nice religious saying. It is a life-changing reality. It is evidence that God is alive and living in those who choose to accept him as Lord and Saviour.

Jesus came into my life and changed it completely. The impact He has on me and the way I do things now. His calm voice and clear guidance that I follow and His amazing grace that impacts me and my life on a daily basis. This is why I believe without question. Jesus Christ is so real to me and I see His work every day. There is no other. It is all because of this personal relationship I have with a living God. To me He has always been here and He will always be. So, my believe is all based on the fact that He is who He is, but the evidence is nice to have.

Lord, you are my evidence. You are my God and I see you every day everywhere I go. I can shout out of your glory and I can tell of your love and grace each day. I am nothing without you and you have changed my very existence. I love you with all of me. In Jesus name.

Have an awesome day, dear friend of Jesus. 

Cheers

The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...