Friday 2 November 2012

Today Reminder - 02 November 2012 (Knowing God)


A reminder for today
The LORD appeared again to Abraham near the oak grove belonging to Mamre. One day Abraham was sitting at the entrance to his tent during the hottest part of the day. He looked up and noticed three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he ran to meet them and welcomed them, bowing low to the ground.
"My lord," he said, "if it pleases you, stop here for a while. Rest in the shade of this tree while water is brought to wash your feet. And since you've honoured your servant with this visit, let me prepare some food to refresh you before you continue on your journey." (Genesis 18:1-5)

Knowing God – a journey.

After I read this chapter in Abraham’s life I passed it by thinking there is not really something motivating that I like to share. Most of this chapter consists of God’s promise to Sarai that she will have a son. But as I gave it some thought yesterday I kept on thinking about these specific verses. You see what caught my attention is the fact that Abraham saw three strangers and as he came nearer he recognised the Lord and asked them to stay and eat. Wow!

Do you see that! Abraham’s relationship with the Lord was on a level where he recognised Him when He visited in what seems as a human form. This made me think. Would I recognise the Lord, if He knocked on my door today? Will I know it is Him? 

How important is our relationship with the Lord? Do you see that Abraham walked so close with the Lord that he would recognise Him even as a stranger. I think that this is vital to our faith. We must spend time in prayer building on that relationship and we must spend time reading the Bible so that we can know more about God.

Knowing God will not only build our faith but it will surely bring us more in line with who we are to be in Him. 

My dear friend, in this very chapter we see how Abraham had an open relationship with God that was based on respect and honour. Even when he asked the Lord to be merciful on Sodom, he asked in a respectful manner. This is a man that knew God. Our relationship must be built on these same principles – respect and honour.

I pray that your journey will bring you closer to God, in Jesus name.

Have an awesome day, dear friend of Jesus.

Cheers

The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...