Wednesday 15 February 2012

Today Reminder - 15 February 2012 (People pleaser)


My prayer for you for today is that you will strive to please God and not people, in Jesus Name.

Galatians 1:10
Obviously, I'm not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ's servant.

For da people. Oh boy, here we go. The person’s names and identities in this story are kept secret for their protection…

It was a normal day just like, well, the other day. James was invited for an evening with his friends. This was a monthly ritual when the buds go out for a drink. When he arrived, he was a little late so the party was well on its way. He had a drink and started having fun laughing and joking with his good old friends. All was fine except that these parties never stop. This particular evening the drinks were streaming in and peer pressure increased as with each drink they ordered there was some event that needed a toast, so it just got worse. Finally, and yes always one for the road, James left staggering to his car struggling to open it. He drove off nearly missing another car on his way out of the parking lot. James drove off quite late, but James never got home…

In the world of people pleasing and changing your personality to be accepted and to rise in a group, I have ample experience. The thing is not the mistakes you make, but how easily you slip deeper into a world where you lose your identity in Jesus. You place Him in the background, in fact you hide Him from those people so that the picture you reflect is one of evil. You become your own worst enemy and what is even worse is that you try and deceive God, by being one person at home and another when you are among “friends”. Jesus made it clear that He despises a mild Christian, you are either for Him or against Him, but never in-between. 

I sometimes wish that I can give you my eyes, so that you could see the world I saw. So that you can see the world I see today. There has been so many times where I wished I knew back then, what I know now. I am so grateful that God pulled me out of the mess I was in and into a new life with Him. Life is precious, but more precious is the decisions we make each moment, our thoughts, our words and our mistakes.

Don’t live to please this world, but live to please God. The prize you will receive is so much more than this world can ever promise or even produce. God is eagerly waiting to journey with you, He wants to be your best friend, the one you talk to when the walls want to crumble. Seek Him in every moment in every day.

I waited patiently for the LORD to help me,
and He turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
and steadied me as I walked along.
He has given me a new song to sing,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what He has done and be amazed.
They will put their trust in the LORD.

Oh, the joys of those who trust the LORD,
who have no confidence in the proud
or in those who worship idols.
O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us.
Your plans for us are too numerous to list.
You have no equal.
If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds,
I would never come to the end of them.

You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings.
Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand—
you don't require burnt offerings or sin offerings.
Then I said, "Look, I have come.
As is written about me in the Scriptures:
I take joy in doing your will, my God,
for your instructions are written on my heart."
(Psalm 40:1-8)

Have a great day, friend of Jesus.

Cheers. 


The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...