Wednesday 19 June 2013

Today Reminder - 19 June 2013 (Challenge)



A reminder for today
At the usual time for offering the evening sacrifice, Elijah the prophet walked up to the altar and prayed, "O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, prove today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant. Prove that I have done all this at your command”. Immediately the fire of the LORD flashed down from heaven and burned up the young bull, the wood, the stones, and the dust. It even licked up all the water in the trench! And when all the people saw it, they fell face down on the ground and cried out, "The LORD—he is God! Yes, the LORD is God!" (1 Kings 18:36 and 38-39)

This is one of my favourite chapters in the Bible. Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal to a contest where they had to show whose god is the real God. Then call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the LORD. The god who answers by setting fire to the wood is the true God!" And all the people agreed (Verse 24).

The contest took place on Mount Carmel and off course Baal never answered. What is really important and caught my attention is not the boldness of Elijah but what he prayed: "O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, prove today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant. Prove that I have done all this at your command.” Elijah prays that the Lord must prove that he did this at the Lord’s command. That is the essence of the whole contest. Elijah did not act on his own and decided that he must challenge the prophets of baal, he did this as the Lord commanded him to do. In this he followed God’s voice and trusted God completely for he knew that God is with him and God will do as He said.

My dear friend, this contest is not only an important part in the deity of our Lord, but also an important result of how God can move within our lives. When God is with you there is nothing that can stop you and when you follow His voice you will be victorious. It is about trusting God and doing as He commands, it is about following His voice and listening to His direction, it is about God and not about us.

Come my dear friend, God is calling us to live our lives doing as He commands and boldly take on the enemy as we show Him to the world. Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

Have and awesome day dear friend of Jesus

Cheers

The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...