Thursday 4 January 2018

Today Reminder (What do I need) – 04 January 2018

A reminder for today
 Let your character [your moral essence, your inner nature] be free from the love of money [shun greed—be financially ethical], being content with what you have; for He has said, “I will never [under any circumstances] desert you [nor give you up nor leave you without support, nor will I in any degree leave you helpless], nor will I forsake or let you down or relax My hold on you [assuredly not]!”. (Hebrews 13:5)

It is a lovely day here in Pretoria and it is already quite warm. We have clear blue skies and a slight breeze to cool us from the heat. I find myself a little tired today and I keep thinking I should’ve stayed in bed. Who needs to work now? It is so quiet and there are only a few people at work. This December I almost had a new job. I was invited to an interview and it was a great interview. For a moment I was a little unsure of what is about to happen and then they called me with a proposed salary and I was suddenly excited. In the end they did not budget correctly for the position and then they had to freeze it for now. I was a little disappointed and it made me think for a while. You know, the usual question of why, how and what. 

It brought me to this verse. What do we need other than the love and grace of God? More money would really be nice at this stage, but we are coping, and we have food to eat. Paul writes that we should be free from the love of money and we must be content with what we have. For a moment there I was so excited about the new salary that I forgot what I have. You see we miss the small and important things in life if we always focus on the big stuff. The stuff that changes us like money. I always say that money makes people do funny and inexplainable things. Money makes people crazy. 

It is simply, because money replaces God in our lives. We make money the most important thing and we get all weird and crazy as we desire more and more. When money becomes the primary idol in your life it consumes you and greed takes over. The more money we get the more it controls us. We must be very careful that our money does not become our God. You cannot follow God and money at the same time. I guess God wanted to remind me that it is all about Him and that I do not need more money, I need to trust Him more. He made it clear that He will never desert us, nor will He forsake us or let us down or even relax His grip on us. We are safely in His hands, but do we know and accept this? Do we understand the concept of His grip and the fact that He will never desert us? 

It comes down to one thing and that is trust. So, what do I need? I need to trust the Lord and let me be free from the love of money and I must be content with what I have. This is going into my new year resolution list. Trust God with all my heart.

Lord, thank you for another awesome promise in that you confirmed you will never leave or desert us and that you will always have us safely and secure in your grip. In Jesus name. 

Have an awesome day dear friend of Jesus. 

Cheers

The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...