Monday 7 January 2019

Reflections of faith (Unforgivable sin) – 7 January 2019

To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words; Which forsaketh the guide of her youth, and forgetteth the covenant of her God. For her house inclineth unto death, and her paths unto the dead. None that go unto her return again, neither take they hold of the paths of life. (Proverbs 2:16-19)

I found myself walking from one room to the next last night looking for something. I realised I must be losing my mind. My kids were with me for two weeks in a row and now suddenly they are with their Mom. The emptiness in the house was just too much for my brokenness. As I kept looking for something, I could not find I thought about adultery and lately the enemy has been bombarding me with the idea that God despises adultery, so is it an unforgivable sin. The weakness of the flesh will go unpunished in God’s judgement. Well I must admit that not having my boys with me felt already like a death sentence and a huge punishment. So, is adultery unforgivable?

Now if we look at my scripture in Proverbs we see that here it says that no adulterer “regains the paths of life“. We can easily understand that this is not meant absolutely. The proverbs in this chapter were collected by Salomon (see Proverbs 1:1). He knew very well that not all adulterers without exception “sink down to death“. For he was the son from a marriage that began as an adulterous affair. His father, David, committed adultery with Batsheba (see 2 Samuel 11), who later became Solomon’s mother. 

We know that David deeply repented from his adultery (and the murder it led him to). He openly acknowledged his guilt and asked forgiveness from the Lord. That is not an easy thing to do for a king! But after he repented from his sin, he wrote Psalm 51:2: “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!” We know that God never refuses to grant forgiveness to those who repent from their sins and turn to Him. The rest of David’s life confirms that. He went back to serving God.

So why is there still this passage in the Bible? It is important that we understand the nature of Proverbs. It is what we call a ‘wisdom book’. That means that it contains God’s wisdom for how to lead our lives. This wisdom is put in general rules. It does not mean that there are never exceptions to these rules. We see many examples of this in Proverbs. In the next chapter for example, we read: “The wise will inherit honour, but fools get disgrace” (Proverbs 3:35). Yes, this is true as a general rule. But we all know examples where wise people were disgraced, and fools got honour they did not deserve.

What is important is that sin leads to death and to live in sin is to live a life that will end in death (eternal death). So, we must take this warning seriously, because all sin leads to death. Paul wrote: Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

What he means is that they that continue to live like that will end in death, but if you truly repent as David did you will be forgiven. Jesus came for the lost and that is why I can look at the accusations of the enemy and smile, because I am forgiven. That is why Jesus said to the adulteress that she is forgiven and that she must sin no more. He does the same to us. We are forgiven, and we must sin no more. 

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Have an awesome day dear friend of Jesus. 

Cheers

The truth about forgiveness

What is forgiveness? Oxford says it is the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. But what is forgiveness actually? It is the rel...